Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Week Ending August 22

Mon - 4 miles easy/hard on the bike paths. Got caught in a wicked electrical storm with stinging rain. Wow! Was actually a little fearful about getting struck. Easy pace turned into a sprint over the last two miles.

Tues - 4 miles (800'). Easy with FCTR at Reservoir Ridge.

Weds - 5 miles (1,800'). Decided to get after it a bit for no particular reason other than I felt like it. Went straight up Horsetooth at what would probably be considered LT pace: working, but in total control. Ended up on top in 27:20, which was just a minute over my fastest time to the summit. Maxed out, I would have destroyed my PR. HUGE confidence boost for Pikes, and just what I needed. Well worth the exertion with 3.5 days to race day.

Thurs - 6.5 miles easy with the FCTR crew at Pineridge. Beers and yummy homemade veggie burgers at Alex and Ean's after the run.

Fri - 4 miles easy (700'). Falls loop at H'tooth.

Sat - Never did find the time for a run, which is usually a no-no for me on the day before a race.

Sun - 28 miles (7,800'). Pikes Peak, plus a couple warming up.

Total: 51.5 (11,000').

Really glad I got out for that harder effort up Horsetooth on Wednesday as it really helped put me in a positive fame of mind for Pikes on Sunday.

Started a run yesterday (Monday) and turned it around after a half mile as things felt way too sore in way too many places for me to carry on with the planned six miles (last week, I was thinking of back-to-backing the Pikes effort with a 20+mile mountain run on Monday in a bid to kick start a week of 'training' for Wasatch - ha!). Got out for six at lunch today and despite feeling moderately sore in the usual places, I was cruising comfortably. The ease of my stride had me thinking about goals for Wasatch, which is coming up in less than three weeks. I have told nearly everyone that has asked me that I'm planning Wasatch as no more than a fun run in the mountains to cap off a very long season. No one believes me, and now we're getting a little closer and all other races are off the calendar, I'm not sure I believe me.

I've had wins at 50k, 38.5 miles, 50 miles & 100k this season, so it would all feel very symmetrical if I could cap it with a win at the 100-mile distance. Hmm. Of course, there's a field of strong competitors who'll have more than a few things to say about that, but I've got to think I've got a shot.

Planning to double the rest of the week from here with a heavy weekend of miles and vertical coming this weekend. Then it's time to taper again.

9 comments:

  1. I remember you telling me on Saturday that you were going to do 20 on Monday. I am glad to see a bit of humanity in that four flat frame you got.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have any of your Wasach competition ever passed KJ in the final miles of a 100?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the next few weeks find you feeling strong enough to go for it at Wasatch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. not sure why, but I had a feeling... get em.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You won WS 100 in the husband and father category. That counts as a big win, because the fewer hours you have available to train and have to dedicate to the important and duties!
    I hope you get your second win @ Wasatch.
    Full steam,
    Pedro

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pedro - thanks, man, I appreciate that. Good luck with Breckenridge. I'm almost certain that I won't be making it out, but I look forward to hearing how you get on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nick,
    Different Pedro, we never have met but I hope I get the opportunity one day. I am from Girona Catalunya as well although I live in the US.
    Full steam,
    Pe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeepers, another Catalan, and from Girona...you guys are my kryptonite ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Not sure I believe me" -- Glad you called yourself out! To thine own self be true!

    ReplyDelete