Monday, July 4, 2011

Week Ending July 3

Mon - 0 miles. Overnighted from California to Colorado with Burch Sunday/Monday. Uber-long and uber-sore drive, but got through in one push. Didn't break the 14:34 PR set going out, but came back an entirely different route (Hwy 50 to Gunnison), so no comparison really.

Tues - Err, no miles. Lots of work.

Weds - was just about able to walk without hobbling. Maybe 200 meters total between my office, kitchen, toilet and bedroom.

Thurs - half a mile walk with the kids from Soderberg, before we were rudely interrupted by an electrical storm.

---------------------------------------------------
January: 440.5 miles (45,850')
February: 304.5 miles (39,200')
March: 469.5 miles (67,100')
April: 427 (62,000')
May: 509.5 (92,500')
June: 323 (54,900')

Total: 2,474 miles (361,650')
Avg: 412 miles (60,275')
---------------------------------------------------

Fri - As Wednesday, but with less hobbling.

Sat - 7 miles (3,300'). Quail Mountain. Figured it was time to stop feeling sorry for myself, so ran up Hope Pass from the Winfield side and then tagged Quail Mountain summit. Awesome views, and actually felt quite spry on the way up, running the whole way to the pass. Coming down was not so fun, and I was instantly reminded that I had run 100 miles with a lot of downhill just a week previously. The extensor tendon in my left foot was barking a bit and my big toe was shouting, and then my quads were humming in the background at a slightly lower pitch, but still making their unhappiness known. Fell half way down and landed painfully on my butt, which is now bruised and added to the list of dings. Iced in the Arkansas. Slept in the truck on top of Monarch Pass (11,300').

Sun - 4 miles (1,500'). Power hike with the Prince of Silverton (Dakota) up what he calls The Nub (1 mile, 1,500') from the west side of Silverton. Dakota was flying, and I was just trying to hang on. From the top we had awesome views of the Silverton valley and the mega peaks surrounding. Babied the down, but felt 100% better than yesterday. For the first time since Western States I actually felt semi-confident in my ability to finish the beast that is Hardrock.

Total: 11 miles (4,800').

As recovery weeks go, this was probably a B-. The thought of running early in the week was nausea inducing, but things slowly got better. The extensor tendon continues to be a bit of a concern, but I feel like it turned a corner in the last couple of days. I'm reasonably confident that with four more days of rest, it will be close; however, I am fully expecting to be dealing with some pain down there at least late in the race. I think the quads and other muscles will be good to go, if a little fatigued.

Honestly, though, I probably won't have a real read on what my day/night/day is going to look like next weekend until the Cunningham aid station after the first big climb up and down Little Giant. Right now, I am just enjoying the awesome San Juans and thanking my lucky stars that I can bring my 'office' to venues like this.

10 comments:

  1. Good luck for Hardrock Nick. What you are doing is simply fantastic considering you placed so well at WS100. Much respect. Rich

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, sadly but glad to see at least a little bit of humanity in those legs that seem to have done immortal things as of late.

    I think you are actually scarily positioned for HR. Most folks are counting you out because of WS. And in fact, if you did nothin' there, it would be "ok." So you are in the nice position of being prepared, being considered an underdog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll flirt with 25 but go slightly over. Once the pain wears off you will nail it. I don't think you'll beat karl but everyone else will go down.

    Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your time in the San Juans...hope you have a great run next weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice run out there. A pair of podiums is no mean feat. Sure you don't want to go for the treble at BW on Monday?

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Thanking my lucky stars that I can bring my 'office' to venues like this."

    We're also thankful that you're able to bring all of your skillz to venues like that -- well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on a great HR, and shattering AJW's record!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats Nick! No doubt "Young Money" was quaking in his trail shoes when he knew Nick Clark was breathing down his neck. I'm almost certain you pushed him to the brink. Awesome stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Great job AGAIN! You are an animal! It was a pleasure to be on top of Kroger's and see you slide down the other side. Enjoy a few weeks rest buddy!
    Steven in Austin TX.

    ReplyDelete